welcome to a2z healing toolbox®
Navigating grief and trauma with practical tools and resources
Why consider z’s?
The health benefits of sleep have been documented for decades. Sleep is crucial to our mental, physical, and emotional well-being. Sleep improves memory, repairs body systems, controls weight, reduces stress, maintains heart health, and improves memory function. Those grieving and living with trauma, however, find they sleep very little or not at all for reasons such as intrusive thoughts, panic and anxiety, a racing mind, heightened startle response, nightmares, or difficulty sleeping without loved ones nearby or in bed. Sleep studies, sleep schools, and specialized sleep doctors can all provide extensive suggestions for getting some much-needed z’s while on your healing journey.
How do z’s promote healing?
By improving memory, concentration, and focus
By promoting heart health and weight consistency
By increasing self-esteem and productivity
By lowering risk of anxiety and depression
- A Meditation to Help You with Healthful Sleep by Belleruth Naparstek
- Sleep: Fall Asleep Easily and Naturally by David Ison
Books & Articles
- Grief and Getting a Good Night’s Sleep by What’s Your Grief
- Panic, Insomnia and Nightmares by The Grieving Heart
- The Sleep Book: How to Sleep Well Every Night by Dr. Guy Meadows of The Sleep School
- The Post-Traumatic Insomnia Workbook: A Step-by-Step Program for Overcoming Sleep Problems After Trauma by Karin Thompson and C. Laurel Franklin
Handy to Have at Home
- Body pillow
- Coloring book
- Essential oils
- Eye mask
- White noise machine