welcome to a2z healing toolbox®
Navigating grief and trauma with practical tools and resources
Sliding into Exercise
Why consider sliding into exercise?
Exercise has long been prescribed by doctors to ease the negative effects of stress and depression. Body-based movement also helps alleviate a myriad of grief and trauma symptoms, such as sleep disruption, appetite change, muscle tension, and fatigue. There are so many exercise options to choose from to keep moving, and they can be done solo (walking, swimming, yoga), with a partner (dancing, hiking, kayaking), or in a group (soccer, cycling, fitness class).
How does sliding into exercise promote healing?
By releasing “feel-good” endorphins into the body’s system
By decreasing isolation (through joining a league, taking a class, or working out with a buddy)
By reducing symptoms of anxiety and depression
By stimulating the growth of new brain cells that sharpen concentration and memory skills
- Yoga Cards by WorkoutLabs – A deck of over 50 flashcards incorporating yoga poses, breathing exercises, and meditation forms.
- Yoga Pretzels by Tara Guber and Leah Kalish – A deck of 50 jumbo illustrated flashcards with yoga activities for children and adults.
Articles & Books
- The Mental Health Benefits of Exercise from HelpGuide
- Sweating Out Sadness: How Exercise Can Help the Grieving Process by Dr. Mercola
- Spark: The Revolutionary New Science of Exercise and the Brain by John Ratey
- You Are Your Own Gym: The Bible of Bodyweight Exercises by Mark Lauren and Joshua Clark
Handy to Have at Home
- Foam Roller – Products, educational tools, and information on the benefits of using foam rollers for exercise and muscle massage.
- Stability Exercise Ball – Equipment, exercises, and various workouts using a stability ball.
- TRX Suspension Training Band – Articles, equipment, and videos about exercising with the TRX band.
- BOSU® Balance Trainer – Exercise clips, equipment, and DVDs about training with the BOSU (“Both Sides Up”) ball
- Brilliant Body and Mind by Tori Brillantes – Inspiration, motivation, and videos about solo and group exercise at any age.
- Meetup – Find fun indoor and outdoor exercise groups in your area.
- One Fit Widow – Blog, exercise coaching, nutrition, and fitness tips.
- Team in Training – Train to walk, run, or cycle while raising funds with the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.