F – Flowers & Fragrance
Why consider flowers and fragrance?
Scent can be used to boost overall wellness and provide a simple, natural way to improve emotional and psychological health. Many researchers and medical doctors are now integrating the use of flowers and fragrance into their practices. “Common sense tells us that flowers make us happy. Now, science shows that not only do flowers make us happier than we know, they have strong positive effects on our emotional well being,” notes Julie Chen, doctor of integrative medicine. “Aromatherapy can be utilized in a medicinal fashion with tremendous healing benefits.”
How do flowers and fragrance promote healing?
• By reducing levels of stress hormones
• By decreasing levels of anxiety, agitation, and depression
• By promoting feelings of happiness and overall life satisfaction
• By improving the ability to relax and sleep
- Rutgers: Flowers Improve Emotional Health by Jeannette Haviland Jones, Holly Hale Rosario, Patricia Wilson, and Terry McGuire – Research study findings on the positive impact of flowers on overall well-being. For more articles, visit the “Health Benefits and Research” section of their website About Flowers.
- 101 Essential Oil Uses & Benefits by Dr. Josh Axe – Guide to using and combining essential oils for spa, relaxation, medicine, and home.
- Aromatherapy: Allowing Scents to Heal Us by Julie Chen, M.D.
- Flower Power: The Healing Power of Flowers by the Monterey Bay Spice Company
- Flower Essence Formulas: Powerful Remedies for Times of Crisis by Richard Katz from the Flower Essence Society
- The Home Reference to Holistic Health and Healing: Easy-to-Use Natural Remedies, Herbs, Flower Essences, Essential Oils, Supplements, and Therapeutic Practices for Health, Happiness, and Well-Being by Chrystle Fiedler and Bridgitte Mars
- The Complete Book of Essential Oils and Aromatherapy by Valerie Ann Worwood
- Aromatherapy: A Complete Guide to the Healing Art. by K. Keville and M. Green.
- Sierra Essentials – Naturally scented body wash, candles, essential oils, lip balms, lotions, and soaps