Studies show that people who spend more time outside in nature have a more positive outlook on life. Interacting with trees, sun, sand, water and fresh air is especially important for those living with grief and trauma. Nature heals by:
- Reducing levels of cortisol, thereby reducing stress and anxiety
- Increasing production and absorption of Vitamin D
- Reducing symptoms of depression
- Enhancing brain functioning and cognitive ability
Earthing & Grounding
The terms “earthing” and “grounding” are synonymous. It is simply the act of placing your bare feet on the earth, or walking barefoot. When you do, natural, healing, free electrons are transferred from the earth to your body. This grounding effect is a powerful antioxidant, regulator of the nervous system, reducer of inflammation, and promoter of overall well being. “Grounding Mats” or “Earthing Mats” are also sold so that while sleeping, the body can heal and repair with a boost from nature.
- Health and Well-being Benefits of Plants by Ellison Chair in International Floriculture
- Vitamin N: The Essential Guide to a Nature-Rich Life by Richard Louv
- Earthing: The Most Important Health Discovery Ever? by Clinton Ober, Stephen Sinatra, and Martin Zucker
- Last Child in the Woods: Saving Our Children From Nature-Deficit Disorder by Richard Louv
- GO Wild: Free Your Body and Mind From the Afflictions of Civilization by Dr. John Ratty
- Earthing: The Most Important Health Discovery Ever? by Stephen Sinatra
Handy to Have at Home
- Bare feet
- Bird house
- Seeds and soil
- Walking shoes
- Meetup – Search for nature-based groups, outings, and gatherings in your area. Key
- words: Bird, Boating, Camping, Flower, Gardening, Hiking, Lake, Ocean, Outdoor, Park, Plant, Picnic, Pond, River, Trail, Walking
- National Park Service – Plan a park visit, find nature-based events, buy a park pass, get the kids outdoors, and volunteer in the fresh air.
How can you UTILIZE NATURE to assist your healing journey?