Exercise has long been prescribed by doctors to ease the negative affects of anxiety, stress and depression. Body-based movement also helps to alleviate a myriad of grief and trauma symptoms such as sleep disruption, appetite change, muscle tension, and fatigue. Exercise helps heal by:
releasing “feel good” endorphins into the body’s system
decreasing isolation (join a walking group, take a yoga class, work out with a partner)
acting as a positive distraction from negative thoughts that lead to anxiety and depression
stimulating the growth of new brain cells that sharpen skills in concentration & memory
- The Mental Health Benefits of Exercise from HelpGuide
- Sweating Out Sadness: How Exercise Can Help the Grieving Process by Dr. Mercola
- You Are Your Own Gym: The Bible of Bodyweight Exercises by Mark Lauren and Joshua Clark
- Spark: The Revolutionary New Science of Exercise and the Brain by John Ratey
- Yoga Cards by WorkoutLabs – A deck of over 50 flashcards incorporating yoga poses, breathing exercises, and meditation forms.
- Yoga Pretzels by Tara Guber and Leah Kalish – A deck of 50 jumbo illustrated flashcards with yoga activities for children and adults.
Handy to Have at Home
- BOSU® Balance Trainer – Exercise clips, equipment, and DVDs about training with the BOSU (“Both Sides Up”) ball.
- Foam Roller – Products, educational tools, and information on the benefits of using
- foam rollers for exercise and muscle massage.
- Stability Exercise Ball – Equipment, exercises, and various workouts using a stability ball.
- TRX Suspension Training Band – Articles, equipment, and videos about exercising with the TRX band.
- Brilliant Body and Mind by Tori Brillantes – Inspiration, motivation, and videos about solo and group exercise at any age.
- Meetup – Find fun indoor and outdoor exercise groups in your area.
- One Fit Widow – Blog, exercise coaching, nutrition, and fitness tips.
- Team in Training – Train to walk, run, or cycle while raising funds with the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.
How can you SLIDE IN TO EXERCISE to assist your healing journey?