Nothing seems funny when grief and trauma come barreling into life. Yet the psychological and physiological benefits of laughter have been researched and documented. Laughter promotes healing by:
- Reducing feelings of anxiety and depression
- Increasing levels of endorphins (happy hormone)
- Improving blood pressure, breath rate and heart health
- Strengthening the immune system
- Add comedy channels to your radio line-up
- Watch comedians live, on YouTube or television
- Surround yourself with funny people (children & animals can work well)
- Buy a bright orange Laffy Laffalot Toy to induce a daily chuckle
- Check out a class in Laughter Yoga
- My Husband Is Not a Rainbow: The Brutally Awful, Hilarious Truth about Life, Love, Grief, and Loss by Kelley Lynn
- The Laughing Cure: Emotional and Physical Healing—A Comedian Reveals Why Laughter Really Is the Best Medicine by Brian King
- Would You Rather…? Over 200 Absolutely Absurd Dilemmas to Ponder by Justin Heimberg and David Gomberg Games and Toys
Games & Toys
- Laffy Laffalot by Steve Islava (toy for children and adults)
- Would You Rather…? The Game of Mind-Boggling Questions by Zobmondo!! (board game for kids and adults twelve and up)
- American School of Laughter Yoga – Laughter clubs, conferences, and professional trainings.
- Laughter Yoga International – Laughter articles, blogs, books, CDs, DVDS, and videos.
How can you integrate laughter into your healing journey?