bringing the Autonomic Nervous System under control (slowing blood pressure & reducing heart rate)
managing symptoms of anxiety & panic
relaxing the body & mind
reducing the amount of cortisol (stress hormone) released into the body
[bahy-oh-feed-bak] noun 1. Biofeedback is a mind-body technique that teaches how to bring the Autonomic Nervous System (ANS) under conscious control. The ANS manages many bodily functions that we generally do not think about (heart rate, blood pressure, muscle tension, breathing). During a Biofeedback session, the therapist attaches electrical sensors to various parts of the body to track heart rate and breathing, while a computer gives feedback on the ANS. Biofeedback sessions are non-invasive and covered by some health insurance providers.
Audio and CD
- The Breathing Box by Dr. Gay Hendricks – Set includes CD, DVD, photo cards, and study guide on effective breathing techniques.
Breathing: The Master Key to Self-Healing by Dr. Andrew Weil – 8 different breathing exercises to reduce anxiety and promote overall wellness.
- The Breathing Book: Good Health and Vitality Through Essential Breath Work by Donna Farhi
- The Healing Power of the Breath: Simple Techniques to Reduce Stress and Anxiety, Enhance Concentration, and Balance Your Emotions (CD included) by Richard Brown and Patricia Gerbarg
- The Association for Applied Psychophysiology and Biofeedback (AAPB) – General facts and information about biofeedback, including how to locate a practitioner.
- Health Journeys – Find a variety of resources on breathwork and healing