G – Group Support
Becoming involved in a grief or trauma support group can provide an invaluable network of other community members who have experienced similar life-changing events. Support groups can offer:
- Hope through the companionship of others who understand your new life
- Permission to grieve openly and freely in a structured, safe environment
- Opportunity to receive emotional, social, and spiritual support
- Increased understanding of the intricacies of life after loss
- Camaraderie with others through the growth and healing process
- The Grief Recovery Institute – Twelve-week group support program run worldwide. Also see The Grief Recovery Handbook: The Action Program for Moving Beyond Death, Divorce, and Other Losses including Health, Career, and Faith by John James and
- GriefShare – Thirteen-week Christian-based grief support group facilitated at churches
- Soaring Spirits International – Support groups for the widowed community: online, regional groups, and conferences.
- The Compassionate Friends – Support groups for child-loss community: online, regional groups, and conferences.
- The Dougy Center: The National Center for Grieving Children and Families – Support groups, programs, and education for children, youth, and families.
- Jewish Family Services – Jewish Family Services offers various support groups in the community.
- Hello Grief – Comfort Zone Camp, Inc. developed HelloGrief.org to start a discussion about the impact of loss, and how to help grieving persons cope; as well as build a community of support for those living with grief.
- Widowed Village (spousal loss) – A program of Soaring Spirits International created by widowed people for widowed people.
- Beginning Experience (widowed, separated, divorced loss) – The purpose of the Beginning Experience ministry is to facilitate the grief resolution process for separated, divorced and widowed persons, and children of these losses, thereby enabling them to again love themselves, others and God.
- Compassionate Friends – Provides highly personal comfort, hope, and support to every family experiencing the death of a son or a daughter, a brother or a sister, or a grandchild, and helps others better assist the grieving family.
- Tragedy Assistance Program for Survivors (TAPS) (military loss) – Offers compassionate care to all those grieving the loss of a military loved one.
- Wounded Warrior Project (military loss) – Provide a variety of veteran programs and services to help you take the steps that are right for you. What’s more, thanks to the tremendous support of our donors, you never pay a penny to get the help you need to build the future you deserve.
- Gift From Within – PTSD Resources for Survivors and Caregivers